Biography: Martin Froyda - producer, director, cameraman and photographer
Martin Froyda was born in Plzen in 1967 in former Czechoslovakia. After his graduation he worked as an electrician and movie camera assistant and studied at the Prague faculty of film FAMU – Director of Photography. Following the Velvet Revolution he established his own production company, producing television programs, music videos and movies. These included the following:
- The very popular and ongoing TV series on cooking: Man in Action / Kluci v akci / (2005 – present), broadcast by Czech Television since 2005 with more than 500 segments thus far.
- Crime Scene: Pilsen (2015) TV Crime series in six parts, following the work of the Plzeň (Pilsen) murder squad. Each murder is full of mysteries, and the investigators´ focus is on a number of suspects. But the exposition of the real perpetrator is always very surprising.
- Two feature films: How to Win a Princess (1995) and the Maharal – The Secrets of the Talisman (2007), which won many international festival awards in the category of children ́s films (Belgium, Belorussia, Canada, Czech Republic, Germany).
- Documentary film about a war story from the end of the Second World War (Operation Thunderclap, 2011).
- Documentary film for the travelogue format “On the Road” (On the Road - Queensland, 2010).
- Cuba Libre, 1997 – a documentary film on the contemporary life of one of the last floundering communist islands Island, Tears and Hope (1995).
- Documentary on the Czech-American Martin Jan Stansky (Between two homes, 2000) covering the famous Czech literary and political family dynasty, which founded Lidove noviny.
- Following 9/11, documentary film of interviews with Czechs living in New York (New York City – The Week After, 2001)
- Documentary film on the Vietnamese community in the Czech Republic (Out of Vietnam, 2003).
- Hour-long documentary on the phenomenon of emigration to the U.S. (Gateway to America, 2004).
As a photographer, Martin Froyda participated in the creation of books and magazines regarding the television series Man in Action. (The Taste of Andalusia, The Taste of Italy, etc.). He also participated in creating the book with Prague themes - Prague Magic. His last photo exhibition was entitled Journeys in X Center Plzen (2000). His latest exhibition and the book release New York Walker in Blizzard (2013) was show in American center in Prague. Some of his photos was published in magazines Practical Photography (GB), Viajes – National Geographic (ES) and Xantypa (CZ).